Oct 4, 2011

Hairy Bikers and a bit of chicken

I am huge fan of  hairy bikers. Not just any hairy biker...two in particular,  you know Dave and Si those two lover-able rough around the edges blokes who travel around the UK and other far off places on a couple of Triumph motorbikes.. The Hairy Bikers It is a treat for me to sit and watch these guys show off great local produce in often unorthodox ways.. I have seen many do-able recipes of these and recently, I took one to our table and oh my goodness it was sooooo good. It was rustic, comforting and easy.. Now I did miss some steps in the photo taking but you will get the idea..
Somerset Chicken
It serves six, but I used 4 chicken breasts and the same amount of everything else. Now this recipe calls from some Somerset Cider, you could use apple juice but I was happy having a bit of a boozy twist to this. You can also do this recipe using pork.

6 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
3tbsp olive oil
75g butter
2 onions, sliced
4tbsp plain flour
2tbsp grain mustard
2 dessert apples, peeled and sliced into batons
110g button mushrooms, sliced
250ml chicken stock
300ml cider
250ml double cream - I used fresh cream without any of those additives they tend to put in these days
1tbsp finely chopped sage leaves
300g Cheddar cheese, grated - I used Mainland Tasty
6 baked potatoes
Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6).
Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper. Heat a large saute pan and add 2tbsp of the oil and 50g of the butter.
Fry the chicken breasts in batches for 1-2 mins on each side until golden. Put them into a deep-sided oven tray and roast for 25 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
Add the remaining butter and oil to the pan and cook the onions for 4-5 mins until softened but not coloured. Add the flour and mustard to the pan and cook for another 2 mins.
Add the apples and button mushrooms and cook for 1 min. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil, then pour in the cider. Bring back to the boil and cook for 5 mins.
Add the cream and sage, cook for another 5 mins, then season with salt and black pepper. Take the chicken out of the oven and pour the sauce into the dish to cover the chicken completely. Preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and place under the grill for 5 mins until the cheese is melted, golden and bubbling. Serve with jacket potatoes topped with a knob of butter.
This photo doesn't show this dish in all it's wonderfully, scrumptious glory, my camera work not the recipe. My husbands tummy was growling, so I never got a photo of it plated up.. it is well worth a try, a great winter warmer, or a tasty dinner when our souls need a little nourishing too.
We really enjoyed it, and I am looking forward to making it with pork..


1 OF YOU SAID:

Sarah said...

Times like this I still wish I lived at home!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for you stopping by at Butterflies and Breezes. I always love receiving comments and I look forward to reading yours.