Jan 2, 2012

Simplicity in 2012

I hope you all had a safe and happy entry into this new year 2012.. at nearly 51, I remember when that date was something you would see in a 80's Sci Fi movie. But wait, this 'would see' is now 'do see' I swear there are days when I feel like I am living in a sci fi movie.  When you see adverts for 3d television, 3d camcorders, ipads, ipods, ebooks, androids, robotic vacuum cleaners, ethanol fireplaces and coffee makers that cost more than a small car one could be forgiven for feeling that way.
I had always tried to keep up with modern technology in the past, hey I have a four slice pop up toaster, a waffle maker, yes I even have a girl in my mobile phone that talks to me - Siri but I woke up one morning and everything had changed. I had turned into a technophobe.
Trying to turn on the dvd player these days, leaves me feeling like I am trying to launch the space shuttle.  I bought a new alarm clock recently with an iPhone dock on it.. duh me, it only took two nights of being woken up at midnight to realise I had not done what I thought I had done to switch the alarm off.
I watch the teens of the house breeze through, gimmicky gadgets with the ease of toddlers putting blocks in holes which indecently I still struggle to do and I just blink at them dumbly as they do.

Recently, my eldest daughter (29) said to me "Mum,  I want one of those old fashioned telephone handsets, the ones that had round dials on the front" so I went looking online for what she meant, thinking she wanted a 1940's vintage phone.. bless her.. this is what a 29 year old thinks is an old fashioned phone.

Ummmm you can still buy these AS phones and people still use them. So I have decided, even as a modern, iphone using, sneaker wearing woman living in the 21st century, I am happy to stop my knowledge of technology right where it is. I am happy to get back to basics.
Yes, I will use what I have but I still prefer to use a broom to a vacuum cleaner.  I could do without a microwave, hair dryer and my new clock. I prefer to use my own hand made soap and cleaners. I am happy to be slowing my life down in a society that needs to have more things to save them time, so they can work longer hours to buy them. Simplicity is slipping through the nations fingers and I for one, find that a shame.
What are you going to do this year to simplify your life and get back to basics?

3 OF YOU SAID:

Suzanne, Enchanted Moments said...

we kissed this year at midnight, without listening to the mobile going off with text messages....
I have a mobile phone but dont know how to use it, I too do not how to record a programme on the tv , if it is on, I have to watch it then and there...or get someone else to do it for me...I can not turn on or use much of the tv , DVD anything like that....at one stage I couldnt even work out how to empty the vacumn cleaner..????? Im a sad and sorry person in this age of gadgets and technology...I can use the computer to email and blog and that suits me fine...........x

Holly G said...

We have one of those lovely old dial phones made from bakelite (pre-plastic). I found it at a thrift store and tinkered with the wiring. The great part is that it's the only one that works when the power goes out.

Anonymous said...

I so totally agree with your sentiments here. I've realised over the last few months, that a lot of the gadgety stuff really doesn't add much to the quality of life - although I'll admit to loving my smart phone - but the microwave won't be replaced. Happy New Year!

Post a Comment

Thank you for you stopping by at Butterflies and Breezes. I always love receiving comments and I look forward to reading yours.